Welcome!

Feel free to look around - manga reviews, book reviews, literary works and interviews.

Quote of the Week:
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
- Put your guesses in the shout box!

Last Week's Quote:
"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it."
- Oscar Wilde

Featured:

The List: My fav. mangas
Jil4J: The Secret Behind the Name

~Want to be a contributer? Contact me.~

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Olympics

Wow.

Don't know how I've managed not to talk about the Olympics up until now.

Yesterday night, at approximately 12:00am, I was sitting on the edge of the sofa, gripping onto the side for dear life, and hardly breathing.

I was watching the Women's Gymnastics team finals.

I couldn't believe what took place before my eyes. It was soooo dramatic! Better than a good movie. It was mainly between the U.S. and China (I was watching NBC, so it was especially about the U.S. team), and I couldn't believe I was gasping away along with the audience.

Well, the first thing was the actual moves they pulled off. For me, the scariest is the balance beam. All that jumping on something similar to a tightrope.... amazing.

The girls of both teams did really well. And I mean REALLY WELL. The race was pretty close too, except at the very end.

I think in this case, it's hardly a case of skill, but rather a case of nerves, optimism and delivery. All your competitors are in top shape, millions of people are staring at you (19 000 are there personally to stare at you) and this event embodies the pinnacle of your career. Imagine the pressure! I get shivers just thinking about it.

Though the United States won silver, they were very, very close. Nastia Lukin, wow. That girl got 16.9/17 for the bars. That's gotta be something to be proud of.

And the Chinese won gold. They deserved it, as was said by the NBC commentator. One of the girls, I don't know her name, but she was the all-around gymnast... I was blown away by her. How could anyone be so amazing onstage... I don't know.

It was definitely a thrill watching the Olympics last night.

On another note, Michael Phelps just became the first person in history to win the most career gold medals (11 at this point), and going on to win the most gold medals at a single Olympics (8, was it?)

I am speechless, watching him swim. He makes it look so easy 'cause he's so relaxed! Everybody else is flailing around him, and he's just going steadily on. Goodness, he broke like 50 World Records. And what does he do after winning the 11th gold medal (I wonder if it's possible to ever be tired of standing on the podium)? He easily takes off his swimming goggles, looks at the board and seems slightly angry that he broke the World Record by less than he wanted to.

I have wonder if he's the best swimmer this world has ever seen...

Also, South Korea is doing REALLY well right now. It's third behind China and the States with 6 Golds. I'd have thought it would be Russia or Germany (from past Oympics), but I'm pretty proud of them. There was this swimmer (forgot his name), that fell into the pool right before the race started at the 2004 Olympics and GOT DISQUALIFIED. Goodness, that must have felt so bad. He was really embarrassed too.

Anyway, this year, he went and won the first gold medal in swimming for South Korea. I think anyone in the world, no matter what nationality, would have been proud of him.

There are so many other stories I have regarding the olympics, but I'll save that for another time.

I'm finished Cry Wolf by Patricia Briggs, and have decided not to do a review. I think I'm doing too many book reviews at this point. I'd like to focus a bit more on manga.

Yesterday, I discovered the manga Kakan no Madonna. I REALLY, REALLY liked it. It reminds of Red River/Anatolia Story so much. But of course, nothing I've found could actually compare.

I am not reading this post over. I don't have grammer check, spell check, etc etc. So, spot anything wrong, Comment or Shout me.

No comments:

Post a Comment