Welcome!

Feel free to look around - manga reviews, book reviews, literary works and interviews.

Quote of the Week:
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
- Put your guesses in the shout box!

Last Week's Quote:
"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it."
- Oscar Wilde

Featured:

The List: My fav. mangas
Jil4J: The Secret Behind the Name

~Want to be a contributer? Contact me.~

Friday, November 7, 2008

Book Review: Notes of a War Story

I love visiting the library because I always come home with a few good books that I can add permanently to my own small library of books. My library sells books that have been withdrawn from the system for only 25 cents, and really, where else can you find a deal like that?


One of the books I recently took home was Notes for a War Story, by Gipi. It was translated from Italian (I believe) into English by Alexis Siegel. Before I go on any further, I must point out that this book is a comic book, done in green and black overtones.

Comic: Notes for a War Story
Author: Gipi
Genres: War, Friendship
Rating: 7/10


As the title suggests, Notes for a War Story deals with a trio of friends during an unnamed war in what is perceived to be modern times. To survive, the three resort to petty crimes and eventually find themselves under the tutelage of a thug named Felix. From there, their actions escalate in immorality, which is undeniably linked to higher risks and consequences. It is from these wartime adventures that we begin to understand each character's background and the road they've chosen for themselves.

The narrator is Giuliano, who gave up a life of certain privilege to be with his friends - Christian and Stephano, dubbed the "Little Killer". The camaraderie that builds between these three friends is their way of dealing with circumstances of the war. However, there is an inevitable bridge that the narrator cannot cross, as he has a past with a family that he does not want to forget, while Christian and Stephano can only look forward to tomorrow to escape theirs.

It is Gipi's exploration of the relationship between these lost boys and their perceptions of the world around them that speaks volumes. The cry for humanity in a world that has lost touch with morality and order is visible in each character's urge to connect with something that holds sentimental value - from Christian's admiration of a perfect home to Stephano's willingness to connect with Felix, the father he never had.

Though it's fictional, the book is filled with very fine observations that go far in the development of characters. Throughout the book, these boys transform from subjects of examination into animated livelihoods, holding the readers captive in the way they speak, look and act. The art seems entirely too appropriate for the content of the book, with dark shades of green and gray daunting every page.

Nothing is truly resolved in this book, but this is simply a reflection of the lives that go on after the ravage of the war. Gipi has outdone himself with the curiosity he provokes in the readers and the pure, emotional impact of an imaginary world that is only one step away from reality.

One cannot read this book and not be affected in some way.


~~~~~~~
I'm happy today because I just received a new copy of Persepolis today for free. It's interesting - Remembrance Day is coming up and I'm reading numerous war books.

I've been out these past few days due to my busy schedule and lack of inspiration. I needed some time to relax and read - the weekend provided ample opportunity. I should be preparing for a very important interview, but I'm currently hooked on a nonfiction I picked up out of curiosity - True Stories from the Nation's ER. It has proved to be worth much more than it cost ($0.25), and has literally made me laugh and cry.

No comments:

Post a Comment