Welcome!

Feel free to look around - manga reviews, book reviews, literary works and interviews.

Quote of the Week:
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
- Put your guesses in the shout box!

Last Week's Quote:
"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it."
- Oscar Wilde

Featured:

The List: My fav. mangas
Jil4J: The Secret Behind the Name

~Want to be a contributer? Contact me.~

Sunday, March 15, 2009

Lovely Complex

Name: LovelyComplex, Love★Com, ラブ★コン Rabu★Kon
Mangaka: Nakahara Aya
Genres: Shoujo, Romance, Comedy, School Life
Rating: 9.7/10


Before I start my review on Lovely Complex, let me write about a chapter in my life that nobody knows about: my brief stint with OchibiChan Scans. I have been an avid reader of Lovely Complex since about...the dawn of time. There has always been something that's been tugging me in a corner of my mind. What can I do to contribute? I don't want to always be a silent reader - reading a chapter, and then spamming the scanlation group for a month until they update again.

Maybe there was something deeper than that. Something that would put this mental harassment to an end. And there it was: the answer to everything. I can, I shall, I WILL become a scanlator. I was pretty handy with Photoshop and I think I could read my fair share of Chinese. So I emailed them and after dinner, they replied saying that they'd love to have a potential translator/typesetter on board. They emailed me two tests to do, a translator one and a typesetter one.

There's a reason why it's called a "brief" stint with OchibiChan Scans. That night, I got to work on the Translator test (they kept hinting at the vacancies in their translator posts...). Unluckily, my mom (with her psycho-Asian mom powers) managed to come into my room at the same time I was in the middle of a quite finicky Traditional Chinese character. Outraged at my association with these "abhorrent Japanese trash", she banned me from doing anymore of this "useless" thing. I managed to email Ochibichan that due to circumstances I was unwilling to say, I couldn't go through with my application.

That's my sad, short (not really) story. Now onto the actual review section.

Lovely Complex rates high on my list of good mangas. There are only a few mangakas who draw don't always make their characters look as pretty and composed as [we expect them to be]. One is Nakahara Aya-san. Another one I can think of is the mangaka of Goong (I actually can't remember her name!).

Lovely Complex is the hearwarming story of two people: Koizumi Risa and Otani Atsushi. When you look at the characters of their names, there is something interesting. Koizumi (小泉) means "little spring". Otani (大谷) on the other hand, means "big valley". Their real-life personas can't be anymore different. Koizumi is the tallest girl in her grade at 172cm tall, towering above the rest of the petite and cute girls in her school. Otani, on the other hand, is shorter than the other boys in their grade. He is 156 cm, humiliatingly shorter by about 20 or so centimeters than the rest of the male population.

The whole story revolves around these two odd people. The two of them are always in the same class, where the apparent height difference is constantly picked upon by their peers. The entire school jokingly dubs them as the "All-Hansin Kyojin" after a famous Japanese comedic duo that has the same height difference. Both are very sensitive about their height...leading to meaningless and comedic fights between themselves. Hate slowly turns to like as the story progresses. About half the storyline is concerning Koizumi's attempts to get Otani to like her (he couldn't 'see' her as a girlfriend just yet).

I absolutely loved this series but I was bipolar when it came to the end of this series. Yesterday, the last chapter of Lovely Complex came out. I was happy that it finally came out after about 3 months of dormancy (I even finished the sequel first!), but there was a feeling of disappointment because it had ended.

The art isn't Korean manhwa but I think that there is something special to be found in it. [However simple it may be, it's capable of summoning a whole range of emotions from you]. It seems confusing, but goodness knows how many times my heart throbbed at their angsty antics. Nakahara-san manages to bring a healthy dose of comedy into each chapter. Either with lates (to school, school trips, and eventually even the graduation ceremony) on Koizumi and Otani's parts or with absolute hilarious faces and expressions.

As the story gradually progresses from hate, dislike, neutrality, and then to like, I felt myself melting into the storyline and relating to all of the characters, especially Koizumi. Being 171 cm myself, I remember going back to China and feeling like a lanky giant. I totally felt everything she felt, with all of her insecurities and doubts. Of course, here in Canada, the height complex isn't as prevalent as in Asia so I don't think I have it as bad.

Ending on a final note: read it! I think it is considered as a classic manga, up there with Ouran, Special A and Naruto (which I absolutely detest...I don't even know why I'm naming it...=.=). The manga has been made into a 24 episode drama, a live-action movie, and a video game (what do they NOT make into a video game nowadays?!). I have watched all of them and loved it. Lovely Complex has a fiercely unique plot with equally original characters. It is deep but light at the same time. It explores the psyche of teenage adolescents while maintaining its humor and keeps the romance flowing.

Read the manga.
Watch the anime.
Watch the movie.

Experience the love.

By: Berber

Edited By: Annie

2 comments:

  1. Lol. I think every asian person who knows how to read/write in two languages and works with photoshop has briefly considered the scanlation business.

    Here's mine:

    Two/three years ago I was reading Itazura Na Kiss (one of my all time favs) when I thought: "hm... I can speed up the updates if I help these groups work on it."

    I searched up the group, and found the only way to contact them was through an IRC Channel. I did not know know in the world I was supposed to do with that, and basically sent them an email (to the IRC thingie). I (obviously) didn't receive a reply, and realized that it was probably better to lay it off for a while.

    I considered it again some time later, but I was beseiged with various assignments and tests. Then I found a site where I could read all these mangas in another language... until I was one volume in and had to admit that half of all the words on the page were flying right over my head. I am obviously not good enough in Chinese. -_-

    So... I am once again waiting impatiently for updates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too :D I hate how most of them are in Traditional Chinese. They just make regular words look like chicken scratch to me...

    You know the character for age? 岁?
    In Trad, it resembles something like a mix between 鹿 and 爷. It doesn't make se-HENSE!!!

    So usually, when I'm really desperate I go on some Chinese website and read the originals there...but like you said, most of the words fly over my head. 

    If I feel like it, I can post up some of my work that I did on my own. It took me a hell of a time translating though 0.0 And ironically, it was about half a chapter of Lovely Complex XD

    Seriously, scanlating by yourself is so hard.

    ReplyDelete