Welcome!

Feel free to look around - manga reviews, book reviews, literary works and interviews.

Quote of the Week:
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
- Put your guesses in the shout box!

Last Week's Quote:
"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it."
- Oscar Wilde

Featured:

The List: My fav. mangas
Jil4J: The Secret Behind the Name

~Want to be a contributer? Contact me.~

Sunday, March 1, 2009

Manga/Anime Review: Death Note

Shounen: Death Note
Mangaka: Ohba Tsugumi
Artist: Obata Takeshi
Genres: Drama, Mystery, Shounen, Supernatural, Tragedy
Rating: 10/10

This morning, while I was listening to the song Alumina by Nightmare (the first ending of Death Note), the manga came flashing through my mind. After watching the anime and reading the manga, I fell completely in love with the music that came with it.

To me, this manga/anime was awesome to the core. It was something outside the box, highlighted by its originality and creativity. The intense action filled scenes will surely leave you wanting for more.

The story goes like this: Light Yagami is an ace student, and he's bored out of his mind by the normality of the endless days ahead of him. One day, he finds a notebook dropped by a Shinigami, or a Death God, who also happens to be suffering from the same boredom. Ryuk decides to spice things up a bit in the human world with a Death Note. This note book is able to kill all the people whose names are written in it.

As time progresses, there arises various national and philosophical conflicts. You can say that the anime/manga begins to take on a political theme, and that's where the famous detective L gets introduced to the plot. Who wouldn’t be curious when criminals start to turn up dead in great numbers?

I'm not a fan of mangas/animes involving political themes [ex: Ghost in the Shell] where it involves high authorities. In fact, I hate them because occasionally, I can't keep up with the high class vocabulary. However, this manga was definitely an exception. Besides the art which I instantly fell in love with, I love shinigamis, and the whole theme of death. The story was not difficult to follow, especially when the characters happen to be strong and overwhelming. Despite the tragedies, there’s also a lot of humor (surprisingly).In addition, the constant battle between good and evil, or perhaps what's considered to be good and evil, continues until the very end. Among all the problems that were present, the mangaka never left the main topic – [that the fight between light and darkness is subjective, and there are times when the line becomes blurred.] In the ongoing war of fates, the conflict between Yagami Light and L's is something that won’t resolve even after death.

I seriously recommend this.

To read: DEATH NOTE
To watch: Death Note~

By: Eli
Edited By: Annie

3 comments:

  1. I also love the Death Note theme songs :) In fact, I have The World on my iPod ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol i got all of them plus others by nightmare-they are an awesome band

    ReplyDelete
  3. My iPod is made up of all Asian artists. Korean, Japanese, and Chinese. I only understand one of those languages, but whatever :)

    ReplyDelete