Welcome!

Feel free to look around - manga reviews, book reviews, literary works and interviews.

Quote of the Week:
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
- Put your guesses in the shout box!

Last Week's Quote:
"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it."
- Oscar Wilde

Featured:

The List: My fav. mangas
Jil4J: The Secret Behind the Name

~Want to be a contributer? Contact me.~

Thursday, February 19, 2009

Manga Review: Absolute Boyfriend

Okay, so I seriously hate this manga to the bottom of my heart, yet i love it and can't help liking it despite what happened...

Shoujo: Absolute Boyfriend
Mangaka: Watase Yuu
Genres: Shoujo, Romance, Sci-Fi
Rating: 8/10
Reason for Rating: The art and the story line were pretty original, but 2 points deducted for its abrupt surprise (and inability to fulfill my hopes).

Summary from onemanga.com:

Rejected way too many times by good-looking (and unattainable) guys, shy Riiko Izawa goes online and signs up for a free trial of a mysterious Nightly Lover "figure." The very next day a cute naked guy is delivered to her door, and he wants to be her boyfriend! Has Riiko died and gone to heaven? The cute guy turns out to be sweet, smart, a great cook, and lots more. And he looks like a million bucks, which is what he's going to cost Riiko if she doesn't return him in time...
-------------------------
At first I thought this was a light hearted manga because it was really funny at some points - like the fact he acts really innocent and doesn't know the ulterior motives of the people around Riiko.

The perfect boyfriend was delivered to Riiko and now she has to pay a really big amount of money since she added things like "must speak many different languages, smart, strong.." and every other thing a girl dreams in her perfect man.

Yet this was a trial and so they didn't know for how long he was going to last. The big disappointment in this manga is that there was a sad and unexpected surprise at the end.
There was a drama made for this, though I haven't checked it out yet. It might be good, so go for it drama lovers.



















Note by Annie: This manga has one of the most original plotlines I've ever come across. Though I've never been a fan of Watase Yuu's drawings (art-wise), I really loved the creative aspect of this series. Not only is Absolute Boyfriend super popular among readers, a Japanese drama has been made based on the manga (like Eli mentioned). By the way, does anyone else have something against pointy chins (in manga drawings), or is it just me?

By: Eli
Edited By: Annie

2 comments:

  1. I HATE POINTY CHINS. I feel like I can cut pizza with them or cut carrots with them. I like the softer look, like in Koukou Debut or in Shuu 7.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lool honestly, i never noticed..the chins.. mmm. XD

    ReplyDelete