Welcome!

Feel free to look around - manga reviews, book reviews, literary works and interviews.

Quote of the Week:
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
- Put your guesses in the shout box!

Last Week's Quote:
"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it."
- Oscar Wilde

Featured:

The List: My fav. mangas
Jil4J: The Secret Behind the Name

~Want to be a contributer? Contact me.~

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Manga Review: Cat Street

Shoujo: Cat Street
Author: Yoko Kamio
Genres: Drama, Friendship, Romance
Rating: 8.5/10



This is the second work I've read by Yoko Kamio, and I only need to mention that the first was Hana Yori Dango before I can see you nodding with appreciation and acknowledgement. Like all other works by Kamio, this story is raw inspiration. I have never read a manga that portrayed the relatable themes of friendship and life in such a pure and unaffected manner. The lack of excessive frills allows Kamio to put more emphasize on the genuinity of her characters and the relationships they develop. This sincere dipiction of the strength that lies within the fraility of human nature is what makes this manga stand out and above others in the same genre.

From Condensation:

The story centers around Keito Aoyama, a former famous child actor. Due to a childhood incident, she retired from her career early and withdrew from normal society. Now 16, she passes her days in boredom and without purpose. One day she runs into a stranger who takes her to El Liston - a free school for high school students like herself, who don't have a place where they belong. Though hesitant at first, Keito decides to enter El Liston and subsequently, she begins a new stage in her life. With the help of her only remaining childhood friend, Taiyou, and her new classmates Rei, Momiji, and Kouichi, Keito slowly finds the courage to open up to others and to accept their support. Will Keito return to acting? Will she find true friends? Love?

It is difficult to find faults with Kamio's artwork. Her ability to capture the emotions of her characters is exceptional. These characters come alive for you. At the same time, it is all too easy for place yourself in to any one of their shoes and find yourself swept along in a life-changing experience. By the end of the manga, it felt as if I'd lived a lifetime in the space of a winter afternoon.
 
Simply said, Cat Street is a must-read.

6 comments:

  1. It sound really interesting! I have been wanting to obsess on any manga I could get my hands on. have you read Miriam? Its a really fun read(I read it 2 times these few days lol)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, i've read miriam. name anything and i'm likely to have already read it.

    i always thought that the girl was too young to be relatable main character, but she's got a great pesonality and you can just see her mature over time.

    it turned out to be a really fun read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. really?? cool! I'm so happy that you enjoyed it too! =D
    and I recently realized why I was obsessed by this manga lately(because it reminds me of me and him, we have the same age difference lol and yeah I counted it!)
    So did you ever relate yourself to a manga character? and who??? (Sorry for the load of Q's :S )

    ReplyDelete
  4. well, i'd probably relate to the girl most in miriam (because she IS the main character).

    but in general, of all the mangas, I'd relate to Yuri (from Anatolia story) and the main character from Hana Yori Dango.

    It's mainly because they're my favourite mangas, and I really liked and associated with the characters (which contributed to my liking it).

    How about you?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wonder if the author got inspiration from this:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uc693cU4Sfg

    The 12 year old playing annie was replaced by another, weeks before a broadway debut.

    ReplyDelete
  6. uh well this might be a lil late but damn this manga is amazing as hell!!!! i completely love it to the core. specially the main characters umm Koichi [i love you] man, it was amazing and i seriously hoped for them to be together and it became true amazing as well thought. a master piece=D

    ReplyDelete