Welcome!

Feel free to look around - manga reviews, book reviews, literary works and interviews.

Quote of the Week:
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
- Put your guesses in the shout box!

Last Week's Quote:
"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it."
- Oscar Wilde

Featured:

The List: My fav. mangas
Jil4J: The Secret Behind the Name

~Want to be a contributer? Contact me.~

Thursday, December 11, 2008

Book Review: Graceling

Book Review: Graceling
Author: Kristen Cashore
Genres: Fantasy, YA
Rating: 3.5/5

The fact that I am the first person from my library to borrow this book is surprising but understandable, considering its inconspicuous hiding place. It was sitting in a dusty corner of the very lowest shelf, among books whose widths span the length of my hand. I happen to have a gift for finding great books (by looking in places where only the mightiest of heart traverse), and I congratulate myself on discovering yet another jewel among paperback trash (ie. Mates, Dates, etc books). However, I shall not indulge the reason behind why I picked it up (Ok, fine - the cover looked pretty), and will contend myself with simply providing you with my personal account.
.
Blend of jacket cover and my edits:
.
The setting is a familiar idea - a beautiful and fantastical land divided into seven countries. In this world, some people are born with an extreme skill - called Grace - and are often feared and exploited. Katsa, niece of King Randa of the Middluns, carries the burden of a skill even she despises: the Grace of Killing. For the most part, she is her uncle's toy, and is expected to execute his dirty work, punishing and torturing anyone who displeases him.

When she meets Prince Po, who is Graced with combat skills, her life suddenly takes a drastic turn. She never expected to become Po's friend, or to learn the truth about his Grace and her own. And for the first time, it occurs to her that there is a more important calling beyond the borders of her world, a secret that has the power to destroy all seven kingdoms... with simply words alone.

The characters were absolutely enthralling. Unlike many other heroines, Katsa had absolute power over almost every aspect of her life. She was a refreshing change from the girls in distress who are always squalling to be saved. And Po? It is simply too easy to fall in love with him. His lazy arrogance tainted with surprising intuition makes for a great secondary character.

I found the plot elements especially creative. I never knew what was going to happen next, but I could see both the plausibility and logic when it did happen. The world Cashore created was rather comprehensive for a YA (and for a non heavy-duty fantasy), and there is definitely a lot of potential for future books in the same setting.

There were, however, a few aspects of the book I had qualms with. The climax was too short, and too pitiful an end to what the whole novel built up towards. The pacing was wonderful in the beginning, but turned erratic near the end. Again, the climax was less than satisfying, and though I would love the book to be longer if only to admire the characters some more, the end was much too stretched out. There is no point adding more to the plot if it doesn't amount to something, and Cashore was only good at tying up the strings of the subplot as opposed to the main political intrigue.

Graceling is not deep as it is entertaining. It makes for a great, light read, but if you're looking for something to make you cry and laugh, this isn't the book for you. Not a winter night's tale, but a good bus-stop/ boring-class/ read.
~~~

Next on my reading list? The Hunger Games, A Curse as Dark as Gold, and Book of a Thousand Days. I'm open to any recommendations (apparently the Sword of Truth series are quite good? I shudder at the length of the books in comparison to my free time). Can't wait till the Break - then I can get down to the heavy ones.

1 comment:

  1. i thought for the longest time that it was called "Grailing" and was a spin-off of King Arthur tales.

    -_-

    ReplyDelete