Welcome!

Feel free to look around - manga reviews, book reviews, literary works and interviews.

Quote of the Week:
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
- Put your guesses in the shout box!

Last Week's Quote:
"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it."
- Oscar Wilde

Featured:

The List: My fav. mangas
Jil4J: The Secret Behind the Name

~Want to be a contributer? Contact me.~

Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Book Review: Summers at Castle Auburn

Book Review: Summers at Castle Auburn
Author: Sharon Shinn
Genres: Fantasy, Romance
Rating: 3.5/5


There are two large shelves dedicated to YA books at my public library. It is interesting to note that her books actually occupy a great percentage of that shelf space, though based on the two books I've read by her, I never felt that she deserved it. However, this is to show that I've never come across Summers at Castle Auburn.  

Coriel is the illegitimate child of the noble Halsing line, and spends three months of every year at court. Though she often feels out of place in a society where every action is first weighed against the gain and loss of favour, she continues to visit court to see her adoring half-sister, Elisandra. Elisandra is engaged to Prince Bryan, and though Coriel is at first infatuated with him, she soon begins to see the dark undercurrents beneath the idyllic life at Castle Auburn.

For a more comprehensive intro, click here.

The only major concern I had with the book was the great amount of ambiguity associated with the main character's feelings. Usually, I'm able to establish a great and understanding relationship with the main character and can perceive what he/she feels through her thoughts and actions However, Coriel was always a two dimensional character to me. She behaved in ways that suprised me, and it was only the justifications that the author provided afterwards that anything was truly explained. Had her character been logistically developed, I would have understood Coriel's actions a little better. Perhaps this sort of equivocal shadowing was on purpose, but I believe it could have been pulled off much better.

Apart from the perceptual shallowness of the story, I loved Shinn's vivid descriptions. She has the ability to paint beautiful pictures within the readers' minds. The pacing left little to be desired, and she was exceptional at crafting language between the lines. Not only does this book have a creative plotline, Shinn is great at solving the problems she creates within the story. This makes for a fast and absorbing read.

It is without reservations that I recommend this book.

1 comment:

  1. Annie! you keep bringing awesome books and I'm going to get broke when I actually find any one of them in the nearest bookshop :S LOL just kidding

    ReplyDelete