Welcome!

Feel free to look around - manga reviews, book reviews, literary works and interviews.

Quote of the Week:
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
- Put your guesses in the shout box!

Last Week's Quote:
"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it."
- Oscar Wilde

Featured:

The List: My fav. mangas
Jil4J: The Secret Behind the Name

~Want to be a contributer? Contact me.~

Sunday, September 7, 2008

Interview: Lorraine Zander

Chillin’ on the Homefront

By: Annie Li

I’ve always envied other people’s summers. To me, the first day of school means admiring a multitude of perfect tans that don’t originate from the usual sketchy tanning salons, but rather from lazing all day under the glorious sun in countries like Spain, Greece and Italy.

This summer was different for me. The monotonous lull that was supposed to be making its appearance a few weeks after school ended never came. It was because I got a job. Fine, it was a co-op placement, but I like to consider it as “An Intriguing Taste of That Vague Place Which Comes after University”.

It was at the headquarters of Faze Magazine, a Canadian based magazine for teens. I met Lorraine Zander, the editor-in-chief of the place, and also my boss. What I noticed first about Lorraine was that she gave great motivational speeches, and I couldn’t help but be impressed by her knowledge of general human nature – especially of teenagers.

Then there was that small detail of her starting the magazine from scratch and turning it into Canada’s largest magazine for teenagers. She’s had eight years to make it into a very respectable piece of publication with lots of star-studded action. Heck, even I got to meet Avril Lavigne’s in-laws.

I later found out that she was a student at our very own school, and that she walked through the same halls as I did, sat in the same classrooms as I did, and wondered aloud what she was going to become one day. This makes me curious. So what will students from this school be doing ten to fifteen years from now? Will I be vying for an autograph from that guy who sits behind me in math?

My “job” somehow transformed my usually très bland summer into something that could measure up to one of those exotic oversea trips. Though I didn’t get bronze skin, I didn’t get a sunburn either.
My Interview with Lorraine Zander

A: What inspired you to start Faze?

Z: I was looking to purchase a magazine subscription for my brother, who was a teenager at the time, and couldn't find anything that I felt had fun and entertaining content, but also articles that had more depth and substance to them. So, I decided to start my own.

A: What do you like/dislike about your job?

Z: Like any job there are love/hate moments. I work long hours, deal with difficult people at times, and I'm constantly under deadline pressures, however, I also get to work with some great minds (many of which are teenagers!), meet celebrities and go to fun events like the MMVA's.

A: Can you give us some insights about your job?

Z: Publishing a magazine requires two types of expertise: business and creative. You need to know how to make a business thrive and grow and at the same time it's helpful to have an artistic side to help with the look and content of the magazine.

A: What is the hardest aspect of your job?

Z: There is nothing truly "hard" about publishing Faze Magazine, however, I must always make sure that I balance budgets, deadlines, and the quality of the magazine so no one area suffers at the expense of the other, which at times can be challenging.

A: What did you like most about Martingrove while you were here?

Z: I loved the diversity of the student body and teachers. Martingrove is culturally rich. Anyone willing to take the time can learn about the world without ever leaving the school.

A: Do you think your experience at Martingrove has helped you with starting and maintaining Faze?

Z: In a somewhat indirect way, absolutely. It was the first place where I really began to exercise independent thinking, self-reliance, and social networking and where I developed my work ethic and learned how to deal with stress and deadlines -- all of which have helped in my success.

A: What did you aspire to be when you were in high school?

Z: I didn't know "exactly" what I wanted to do, but I always felt I would somehow end up in the sciences. I loved the microbiology program and thought it would lead me into marine biology or a career in research. I appreciate now that I chose to be a "well rounded" student as I find myself loving the world of magazine publishing.

A: Share a high school memory with us.

Z: I remember a student in my microbiology class growing something in a petri dish and then making it into a fire-resistant "fabric", and I clearly recall thinking at the time that I felt privileged to be in the company of such brilliance. I regret now that I never told him how amazing I thought his project was. I think everyone has some kind of brilliance to offer and we should acknowledge it when we see it--whether we know the person or not.

A: Do you have any advice for the students of Martingrove?

Z: High school is a very unique environment specifically designed to help you learn about who you are and what you want to become. You are constantly faced with situations in which your responses will define and shape you: how do you deal with stress, deadlines, disappointment, heartbreak, deception, drama, cheaters, backstabbers ... Learn from every situation and think before you react. You can shape who you become. Take ownership. And of course, have fun along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment